Car Accidents

Road traffic accidents are the most common cause of Personal Injuries Claims in Ireland

Car Accident Claims

Due to the amount of road traffic accidents* in Ireland every year, it is not surprising that car accident claims* are the most common type of personal injury claims in Ireland.

At Hanahoe and Hanahoe Solicitors, we have over forty years’ experience advising clients from across the country on car accident claims. In 2019, we were singled out as one of the top personal injury lawyers* in the country when we were nominated as Personal Injury and Medical Negligence Law Firm of the Year at the Irish Law Awards.

What Should I Do If I Am In A Car Accident?

If you are in a car accident, the first thing you should do is check to see if you, your passengers or indeed, the other party have been injured.If you have any concerns that anyone has suffered a serious injury such as a spinal chord injury or even a broken bone, you should immediately call an ambulance.

Regardless of whether you believe you are badly injured or not, you should visit your doctor to get checked out. Due to the shock of being in a car accident and the associated adrenaline, it is very common for people, particularly if they suffered whiplash* or soft tissue* type injuries, to not immediately realise that they have been injured.

Often whiplash and soft tissue type injuries only manifest themselves in the coming hours or days after the accident*. For these reasons, it is very important that you get checked by your doctor.

Moving Your Car

According to the citizens information guidelines, you should only move your car if the accident is not serious. You should never move your car if you have been involved in a serious accident, particularly if someone has suffered catastrophic injuries. If the car accident is minor and the car is blocking the road or a danger to other road users, you should move your car.

However, before doing so, you should mark their positions on the road. You should also take photographs of the position of the cars before you move them.

Report The Car Accident* To The Gardai

You should immediately report the car accident to the Gardaí. If it is a minor car accident, it is quite possible that the Gardaí will not attend the scene of the accident. If the Gardaí say they will not be attending the scene of the accident, we would suggest that you report the car accident to your local Garda station as soon as possible.

When reporting it, you should insist that they take details of the name, insurance details and registration numbers of all parties involved in the accident. You should also insist that they take details of all witnesses and the date, time and location of the car accident.

In more serious accidents, the Gardaí will attend at the scene of the car accident and take statements from the drivers and any witnesses that are available. It is likely they will also make a sketch map of the accident scene. This car accident lawyer* will take up this information from the Gardaí when they seek the Garda Abstract Report.

Get Everyone’s Details

If you have been in a car accident*, it is essential that you get the full details of all the other parties involved in the accident. This should include their insurance, registration and contact details. If you wish to bring a car accident claim*, it is essential that you have the correct details of the other party/parties.

We would suggest that it would be a good idea to take a photograph of the registration plate and insurance disc certificate of the other party. If there are any witnesses to the car accident, we would suggest that you also take their contact details.

If you are bringing a car accident claim, these details should be given to your personal injury lawyer. Your personal injury lawyer* will then contact any witnesses to take up a detailed statement. It is very important that a witness statement is taken as soon as possible after the car accident, particularly if liability is at issue. We want to ensure your witness gives this statement when the car accident is clear in his/her mind.

You also want to ensure that you get all of their contact details, being their address, telephone and email address as it is quite possible that by the time the matter gets on for hearing, some contact details you have for the witness may have changed.

What Other Evidence Of The Car Accident Should You Record?

When submitting a car accident claim to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board, there is a variety of information that is needed. It is important that you have the date and time of the accident. If liability is at issue, it would be necessary to engage an engineer. Therefore, it is important that you make a note of where the accident happened.

It is advisable to take a photograph of the damage done to your vehicle and if possible, the damage done to the other vehicle involved in the accident. If you can take a photograph of the vehicles immediately after the accident, before they have been moved to the side of the road, that would also be very beneficial. Taking photographs of skid marks, road markings or road signs such as stop signs would also be very beneficial.

Responsibility For A Car Accident*

You should never admit liability (i.e. do not say the car accident was your fault) at the scene of a motor traffic accident*. We would suggest that you do not admit liability until you have discussed the matter with a car accident law firm. There is no benefit to you, or indeed, the other driver by you accepting liability at the scene of the car accident.

Car accidents are very stressful and upsetting and often, people who were involved in a car accident can be in a state of shock immediately after the accident. Therefore, it is better that you collect your thoughts and take the advice of a car accident solicitor* before you make a decision on whether or not you should admit liability.

Speak To a Solicitor Who Specialises In Car Accident Claims*

If you have been injured in a car accident and want to bring a personal injury claim*, we suggest that you speak to a solicitor who specialises in personal injury law*. At Hanahoe and Hanahoe Solicitors, we have over forty years’ experience in car accident claims and indeed, personal injury claims* in general. We advise clients about car accident claims from all across the country.

We initially did this from our office in Naas, County Kildare. However, due to the number of clients looking for personal injury solicitors* in Dublin, we set up our Dublin office in 2015. Our firm’s commitment to having the most advanced technological systems in place allows us to use Zoom and other platforms to meet personal injury* clients from across the country.

What information should I bring to my consultation?


Firstly, if you do not have any of the following information, do not be concerned as we will generally be able to source it ourselves.
However, if possible you should bring the following:

  1. Details of the date of the accident.
  2. Contact details, to include insurance details of the third party (the other person/persons involved in the accident.
  3. Contact details of any witnesses.
  4. Contact details of your doctor.
  5. If the Gardaí attended at the scene, the contact details of the investigating Garda.


For further information please contact Hanahoe and Hanahoe solicitors on (045) 897784 / (01) 5255637 or at


*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.